Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Making Bias Tape

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was making miles and miles of bias tape, and that my bias tape maker wasn't working out as well as I would have liked.

I didn't get through my jacket project, but I did get through the bias tape making part of it.

I did try out the tip on PatternReview and had better luck with it, but still couldn't get it quite right. The fabric still wanted to twist around occasionally.

I solved the problem by using both. I ran the fabric through the bias tape maker, then held it up close to the pin. Here - a picture or three will help I think.

Using both the pin and the bias tape maker worked pretty well for the fabric I was using. At least, I'm assuming I had trouble because of the fabric and not because of me. It seems like I would not have had as hard a time with a thicker, more firm fabric.

We'll see. I've definitely put the making and applying of bias tape on my list of things to accomplish well.

2 comments:

debbie said...

One thing that really helps it to use spray starch. Spray pretty heavy and then iron it dry, then make your bias.

Janimé said...

I should have thought of that. I've starched slippery fabrics before to make them easier to work with for cutting, but I didn't think to use that technique here.

Good one. Thanks :)