Sunday, July 22, 2007

Proof of Concept

I've been trying to convince my new fabric that the dress patterns I have already really will work. They've had a hard time believing me though, so I thought I'd try out a proof of concept.

This is Simplicity 6429 done up in the purple paisley from Gorgeous Fabrics. I think I like how it looks.

In case your wondering, I used Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI to generate the picture. Here's how:
1. Took the line drawing from the Simplicity site and saved it locally.
2. Cut view C from the drawing and saved it as a separate image.
3. Cut view E from the drawing the layer it on top of View C.
4. Cleaned up the overlap lines a little.
5. Enlarged the combined drawing.
6. Saved a picture of the paisley fabric as a pattern (PSP has a patterns folder just for this).
7. Filled the dress with the paisley pattern. (You may have to enlarge the drawing or reduce the pattern image in order to get the pattern to scale.)
8. Filled in the solid portions with the fill tool. PSP has a nice feature that lets you pick a color from the image you are working on. So I tried a few different colors.

Seems like a lot of work. And I guess it is. But still less work than doing the whole thing up. Now if I can only get it to stretch and bulge in the same places I do!


Geek Sewing said...

Great work! I don't know if I'll be able to do that with my mac. I'm sure there's a way... I have Appleworks and have been playing with it when time allows.

Sigrid said...

Great idea, I'm going to try sometime, as I do have the PSP program.

Janimé said...

Thanks! I think it will be a nice way to get a better idea of what things will look like.

Geek - I'm not going to tell you the year I last worked with an Apple. I will say I thought we had hot stuff with the Apple IIe.