Sunday, February 11, 2007

Vogue 8332 - Progress Made So Far

So far, I've traced out all the pattern pieces.

I currently trace patterns using a not-so-handy window, and butcher paper. Eventually, I would like to try something that doesn't require the window. It's very hard on my back and neck, and of course, I can only trace pieces when there's light outside.

For this pattern, I made my standard alterations. I started with a size 18, then widened the sleeves in the bicep area, and widened the waist and hip areas.

I've also cut out the main fabric side pieces of the muslin, as well as the 1st contrast pieces and applied the interfacing to those.


I tried something new with the interfacing for this project. Previously, I had followed the pattern instructions and cut the interfacing using the pattern pieces, then applied the interfacing to the fabric.

As you can see from the pictures, this time I applied the interfacing to the cut fabric pieces, then trimmed the excess. I think this way is going to be easier for me most of the time. The only thing I need to be careful of is that the edges of the interfacing stick to either my presscloth, or the ironing board cover. Overall though, this really worked out for me.

My muslin fabric for this side is a cheap plaid flannel I picked up off the $1 table at Walmart.

Lastly I've done a first pin fitting.



The pins make the seams look a little puckered, but the fit feels good overall. I fit the sleeve pieces separately and I think I may have some trouble with those. The upper sleeve felt a bit tight when I bent my elbow and may need to be widened a bit more. I don't think I'll make the final decision on that though until I've sewn this first muslin up.

Right now I'm cutting the pieces for the reverse (contrast #2) side. For this side, I'm using a lightweight jacquard I picked up off ebay.

As soon as I get the reverse side cut out, I'll sew everything up and see how it turns out. If everything goes well, I may move directly into the real thing. If not, I'll assess what needs help and do a 2nd muslin.

4 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

Geez. You've been very busy. I need to stop by here more often. =o)

Keep up the good work. So far it looks great. (Or I can envision how great it will look when you've sewn it all together.)

Janimé said...

I have high hopes for this one.

And I want to get it done. I have SO many things saying "Make me! Make me!"

This is one fabulous hobby!

debkb said...

Block fuse your interfacing and then cut out your pattern piece. Cut a piece of fabric big enough for your pattern and fuse interfacing (cut slightly smaller than fabric-you won't have to worry about getting it on your cover or presscloth) and then layout your pattern piece and cut. Just remember to mark your grain line on the fabric first or use a piece along the selvege.

Janimé said...

I knew there had to be a better way.

I've seen the term "block fuse" before, but hadn't had time to find out what it meant.

Thank you!