Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Technique - Double Folded AND Mitered Corners

Happy New Year!!!

As promised in the previous post, here are instructions for how to get edges to be both double folded AND mitered in the corners. It may not seem like much, but it took me a few tries to get it right, so I thought I'd share...

First, cut the corners off the edges of the fabric. In my case, about 5 inches on each side.


Second, fold the corners together, with the right side of the fabric together and sew about half way down the corner edge line. That's down to where the pin is in the picture. I used a 1/4" seam allowance.


Third, push the corner out so that the edges fold to the wrong side. You can see from the picture that the partially mitered corner gives you the first roll.


Next, fold half of the edge down to give you your second fold and pin it down.


Finally, sew the folded edges down from the wrong side.


I figured this method out through trial and error. The result is that I arrived at how much of the corner to cut in a rather haphazard manner.

Although I don't have time to test it, I think you could determine how much of the corner to take off if you first fold one edge up where you want it to be and mark where it falls on the adjacent edge. Unfold the first edge, then mark it by the same amount. Then, fold the two edges right sides together, making sure that the marks meet.

Happy sewing!!!

No comments: